George Washington grew up in the English colony of Virginia. He was tall and strong and respected by his friends and colleagues as a good leader.
We invite you to celebrate the birthday of the First President of the United States.
Discover what inspired George Washington and get to know his great story. As he grew older, George saw how England took advantage of the American colonies and he didn’t like it. When the colonies declared their independence, George was chosen to lead their army as its general. When the colonies finally won their freedom, George was elected to lead the great new nation as its First President, taking his oath in Federal Hall on Wall Street on April 30, 1789.
Discover our many resources. Change the way you teach and the way we learn!
AMAZING PEOPLE LEARNING – This unique suite of professional development resources support action learning through Amazing People Learning. These provide problem-solving, communication and leadership skills that can be applied in innovative and powerful ways.
Find the tools and learn how you can become one of those amazing successful stories!
- Work and school projects.
- Core skills models.
- Interactive project notes.
- Log in, track and revisit to see you progress.
- Access to a variety of support services such as video, articles and valuable advice.
- Individual or team basis.
- Effective, interactive approach to professional career development.
- Created by innovative business leader and psychologist, Dr Charles Margerison, this approach has been implemented at companies around the world including Shell, ExxonMobil, ICI, HSBC and Hewlett Packard. “Inspiring, Motivating and Enabling”, these resources deliver results and help individuals and organizations to function more powerfully.
Amazing People Worldwide is home to the world’s largest collection of inspirational stories and biographies about amazing people, from Walt Disney, to Marie Curie, and Shakespeare to Helen Keller. The stories are available across a range of multimedia formats, including eBook, audio, video and print, and sell globally to schools, libraries, lifelong learners and businesses. Each story is relayed from the first person perspective, relating in a very personal way, what motivated and influenced these amazing individuals. Featuring historical celebrities as well as lesser-known names, this extensive collection offers unique insights into how amazing people converted their opportunities into achievements, and can inspire people to achieve their own ambitions in life.
Today, we hear a lot about a person’s mental health. We see the struggles of others in our own circles and in the media every day and sadly, also see some of their actions as a result of their issues.
Psychology has become very much a part in the workplace today also. Businesses spend a considerable amount of time and money into investigating how to make people and organisations more effective. Scientific research is used to study people, the workplace and organisations to better understand what and how to create a proactive, healthy and productive relationship between those involved.
For many years, amazing individuals have dedicated their lives to understand what makes people ‘tick.’
One such person was Karen Horney.
Despite suffering from depression herself, Karen Horney became one of the first women to qualify as a medical doctor in Germany and the first female to qualify and practice in the fields of psychoanalysis and psychiatry. She took a deep interest in the causes of conflict in personal relationships.
Karen presented original and advanced theories regarding neurosis and her contributions to the psychology of women, in particular, have had a profound effect on how psychoanalytic therapy is approached today.
“The perfect normal person is rare in our civilization. Concern should drive us into action, not into a depression” – Karen Horney
Innovators like Thomas Edison, Dr Elizabeth Blackwell, Albert Einstein and other proactive thinkers, combined both rational and emotional thinking to the resolution of problems. How people perceive a problem and their ways of solving it, will influence the outcome. Likewise, the motivation and energy people have for solving problems will also have an effect on the issues.
- When did Karen Horney commence medical school?
- When and whom did she marry?
- Karen moved to what country in 1926?
- How many neuroses did she identify? How can psychology help businesses? Write a page on the benefits of psychology in the workplace, from managers to employees and the roles they play in a successful business. What are sound practices that can be introduced to the workplace? How often should management and staff reinforce these lessons? What are the benefits of an on-line learning platform for employees?
AMAZING PEOPLE TOOLKIT– Amazing People Education is brought to you by Amazing People Worldwide – an international education publisher that is bringing these sensational resources to students, teachers and librarians worldwide.
To explore tips and tricks on classroom edu-tainment using BioViews®, please download our free AMAZING PEOPLE WORLDWIDE TOOLKIT.
AMAZING PEOPLE LIBRARY – Engaging and educational digital eBooks and Audios for schools and librarians. They include hundreds of inspirational life stories about the world’s most amazing people.
The biographical interviews, known as BioViews®, are written in the first person and give a very personal perspective on what motivated and influenced amazing people. The stories have been developed and created by educational psychologist and business guru, Dr Charles Margerison. Each one is meticulously researched and based on historic facts.
For more information see Amazing People Worldwide or for further enquiries please contact us with your email details.
My dear Coco,
I thoroughly enjoyed our day together last week. That hat, my goodness darling, that hat I modeled for you? I must have it! All my friends are dying to see your next creations. My dear, they are waiting with great fervor to buy up all those beautiful hats. What am I to do? Ah, I must simply make you my exclusive milliner!
Dearest Coco, what is that creative little mind of yours dreaming up today? All my friends are saying that you will be famous one day! Maybe one day people all over the world will be talking about you. Maybe women will be wearing not just your hats, but dresses, coats, lingerie or maybe fragrances and bags and…oh my dear, I could go on and on.
Well my dear, I must go now. I am so exhausted from my theatre performance last night. It was a full house and we received a standing ovation.
Ps. I have popped in a little photo of me from the magazine in that gorgeous hat! I look quite stunning don’t you think?
Au revoir, Gabrielle x
Coco Chanel was born on August 19, 1883.
She was, and still is, one of the most influential style icons of all time. Everyone knows the Chanel brand, but few know the inspirational rags-to-riches story behind it. Who would have known that this humble girl born in a poor house, would achieve such phenomenal success! Coco Chanel is still regarded as a fashion icon, long after her death.
Coco was known for her incredible ambition and determination throughout her life. She associated with the ‘right circles’ and together with her unique talent, she achieved both success as a business woman and acquired great social prominence.
Lessons from High Achievers
Successful individuals like Coco Chanel, identified their unique talents and developed them to produce remarkable outputs that shaped the world in a variety of ways.
“Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity”, Coco Chanel.
A good starting point when thinking about your future goals, is to look at what areas you are going to develop. Coco would have honed in on her sewing skills and made decisions based on what she knows best and felt comfortable in developing. Developing is an ongoing activity, as one continually needs to review and improve existing processes.
To achieve goals we need to take action
The old model has been to teach, learn and do, however, it is far more effective to begin with action. Once we take action, then that is in fact ‘doing’ something, and from that, we in turn have learned something. So it is a bit of a twist on the old school of thinking. It is well established that people develop competence by taking action.
Coco Chanel’s initial marketing strategy was to generate a buzz around her new perfume fragrance by hosting what was essentially a promotional event, where she invited a group of elite friends to dine with her in an elegant restaurant. The success was immediate and phenomenal. Chanel’s friend exclaimed: “It was like a winning lottery ticket!”
Amazing people like Coco Chanel, Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and Helena Rubinstein, all have one thing in common – they all became multi-millionaires without going to a University or a Business School! Instead they chose to get into ‘business action’ and learn from experience. They just DID IT!
- What is the product? (The world is your oyster! Let your imagination run wild!)
- What are your strategies to market and develop the product, that will encourage the public to buy it?
- What Christian name was Coco given at birth?
- How did she learn to sew?
- In what year did Coco open her millinery boutique at 21 Rue Cambon, Paris?
- What very successful product was launched on May 5, 1921?
Discover a unique suite of professional development resources that support action learning through Amazing People Learning. These provide problem-solving, communication and leadership skills that can be applied in innovative and powerful ways.
Business, Teachers, Librarians, Parents and Students
Amazing People Education is brought to you by Amazing People Worldwide – an international education publisher that is bringing these sensational resources to students, teachers and librarians worldwide. To explore tips and tricks on classroom edu-tainment using BioViews®, please download our free AMAZING PEOPLE WORLDWIDE TOOLKIT.
Gabrielle Dorziat was a French stage and film actress. Dorziat was a fashion trend setter in Paris and helped popularize the designs of Coco Chanel.
One of America’s formidable business successes. In July 2005, the last Ford Thunderbird rolled off the assembly line. There are many models still around today and the legacy of Henry Ford and his highly successful business still lives on.
Born on a farm, Henry’s journey took him to Detroit, where he built the first mass-produced vehicles – the Model T, the Model A and the system of ’Fordism’. ie the introduction of the assembly line. He was an entrepreneur and an outstanding business man with a global vision. Henry Ford was committed to lowering costs, increasing supply and possessed forthright and sound business skills. What can we learn from Henry Ford’s success story?
In June in1896, Henry Ford introduced his Quadricycle to America and proudly drove it along the streets of Detroit. It was the first automobile he designed.
His talent for invention and machines is inspirational, and combined with his remarkable business sense, saw him enjoy much global success. Not just and engineer, Henry was also a business man full of drive and commitment.
- Begin by meeting the man himself through our unique BioView® story. Everyone will be immediately captivated as they hear Henry tell his own story .
- Follow up with a discussion on how Henry Ford’s business sense created a world-wide successful entity.
- Discuss his creativity in instigating the first ‘production line’ and what effect it would have on his business (and that of many businesses to come).
- Do you have amazing ideas? Write a short business plan outlining the concept, how you plan to begin the project and how you will finance it. Over the coming weeks, each student can submit their business plan to their peers for open discussion.
Amazing People Education is brought to you by Amazing People Worldwide – an international education publisher that is bringing these sensational resources to students and teachers worldwide. To explore tips and tricks on classroom edu-tainment using BioViews®, please download our free AMAZING PEOPLE WORLDWIDE TOOLKIT.
For more information see Amazing People Worldwide® or for further enquiries please contact us with your email details.
- Do Monarchs make great leaders? Or is their birthright forcing them to take on challenges they are not suited to?
- What are the qualities needed for good, effective leadership?
- What is the ‘X-factor’ that makes some people natural leaders?
- Are great leaders born or made?
Imagine our own lives. Venturing into a profession we felt we never had a say in. Does it come naturally or would you have to compromise much to be successful?
Meet these Monarchs and take on the tasks set out. What do you know about their lives and achievements?
A high priest, a politician and one of Ancient Rome’s most influential leaders, he is remembered as one of the most successful and powerful rulers in the history of the world. His violent death led to an era of Roman civil war that lasted for many years.
- What were his major achievements during his rule?
- What is the name of the calendar he created?
Pronounced herself Catherine II, the sovereign ruler of Russia in June 1762. Great women in history have made a huge contribution to the betterment of their country and it’s people. One such Queen is Catherine the Great. Catherine was a strong leader, who inspired loyalty and respect rather than fear and oppression – indeed she did not do things in a traditional manner. She focused on the education of her people, establishing Saint Petersburg as a cultural centre of the country. Her passion regarding education of her people was deep. For years she investigated and reformed education in Russia appointing advisors and establishing a commission.
- How did she come into power?
- What did Catherine achieve for the people of Russia?
- How long did she reign?
Meet the unforgettable Louis XV, crowned King at the age of 5 and married at the age of 11, he was forced to grow up quick. He certainly took his duty to keep the family line going, quite seriously, and is famed for his many affairs and mistresses, over the years. The most famous of these was Madame de Pompadour, who had a great influence on his life. Louis reigned France for seventy-two years!
- Discover his personal challenges and relationships and then write a short article outlining what you think motivated him during his reign.
Queen Elizabeth 1st, was a truly amazing leader. Experience how she overcame political, religious and family turmoil in her younger years to become the Queen of England. Well educated, she used her intelligence and determination to ensure the country continued to flourish and prosper.
- Who were Elizabeth’s parents?
- Elizabeth’s reign was known as the ‘what’ era?
- How many languages was Elizabeth fluent in?
Became Queen, June 1837. Over the course of her reign, Victoria’s popularity grew as she continued to show strength and courage, surviving seven attempts that were made on her life! She used her influence to support peace and reconciliation. Queen Victoria, a mother of nine, was also known as the Empress of India, for her strong support of the Empire. She is the longest reigning royal in British history. From such a young age, how did she cope with the demands and decisions she would have had to face?
- Consider a major challenge relevant to this day and age and discuss how you would react and cope at 18, with this challenge. What strengths would you need to overcome this change or difficult time?
William The Conqueror was also known as William I, King of England and Duke of Normandy. He was an innovator who brought a Norman-French culture to England during his reign. William replaced the English language, built many castles and appointed well educated men within the church, who would later serve as his administrators.
- What were the circumstances surrounding his birth compared to other monarchs?
- When was he crowned King?
- When was the coronation of Queen Victoria?
- Do you think these monarchs made great leaders?
- What can we learn from the life stories of these monarchs?
- Were all of these monarchs born into royalty?
- If not, discuss any qualities they had as leaders that may have been influenced by this fact.
Amazing People Education is brought to you by Amazing People Worldwide – an international education publisher that is bringing these sensational resources to students and teachers worldwide. To explore tips and tricks on classroom edu-tainment using BioViews®, please download our free AMAZING PEOPLE WORDWIDE TOOLKIT.