William Shakespeare was born in 1564, and raised in Stratford-upon-Avon.
His actual date of birth may not be known, however, the people in Stratford-upon-Avon celebrate his birthday on the 23rd of April. What we do know is that he was baptized on 26th April, 1564 and is one of the world’s greatest writers.
Over 450 years ago, little did we know that the birth of William Shakespeare would bring us so many memorable literary pieces. He wrote many well-known plays, sonnets and narrative poems and received payment for his plays, as thousands of people regularly went to the theatre. He became a very wealthy man and his wealth enabled him to develop one of the most expensive homes in Stratford-upon-Avon. His family lived there, but most of his time was spent in London, where his name as a playwright was gaining recognition.
In the centuries to follow, William Shakespeare became world-renowned. His work has continued to grow in popularity. His stories and other plays, including comedies, histories and tragedies, are still performed around the world, 450 years after his death.
It is said that he wrote 38 plays and 154 sonnets and various poems, during his successful career. Often referred to as England’s national poet and the ‘Bard of Avon’, Shakespeare is one of the world’s most revered writers of all time.
Would you like to visit London or the birthplace of Shakespeare? You could visit the Shakespeare Centre Library and Archive, The Globe Theatre, where many of Shakespeare’s plays were originally performed or visit his birthplace of Stratford-upon-Avon.
Here at Amazing People Education, we take you on a virtual tour of London where you can follow in the footsteps of William Shakespeare and other notable London identities! As you walk around historic London, you are traveling in the footsteps of many amazing people including Charles Dickens, Florence Nightingale, Queen Victoria and Charles Barry. In different ways, they made major contributions to London, which helped shaped one of the world’s most visited cities.
This is a fantastic multimedia textbook. Features include:-
- Old photographs of the city showing how much it has changed
- Amazing Avatars of each of the featured amazing people that bring them to life!
- Listen to atmospheric audio stories
- View timelines of each person’s life
- Informational section that includes London’s historical timeline that runs from the Roman’s invasion in 43AD until 2012
- An interactive quiz at the end of each chapter enables you to test your new knowledge about London and its amazing people
Can you answer these questions?
- What is the name of the street of his birthplace?
- Who was William Shakespeare’s wife?
- What did William do for work after he moved to London?
- What did he name is home he built in Stratford-upon-Avon?
- Name two Tragedies written by William Shakespeare
- After researching and reading more about him, which of William Shakespeare’s works most interest you and why?
To get this FREE eBook and Audio, simply contact us with your email details. Check our free items every month and be inspired!
Amazing People Worldwide® provides a wide range of BioViews® on people who have made outstanding contributions in the fields of engineering, aviation, business, the arts and sciences. All of them highlight stories which can inspire people to improve their performance and achievements. I invite you to come and meet many of these talented people through their amazing and unique BioViews®.