On June 2nd, 1896, radio pioneer Guglielmo Marconi applied for the following patent – “Improvements in Transmitting Electrical impulses and Signals, and in Apparatus therefor”.
However, Guglielmo’s patent was not without controversy. Why?
To appreciate fully the impact of this event on today’s technology, in particular radio, radar and television, we need to look into the research and work of both Guglielmo Marconi and Nikola Tesla. Their achievements led to the formation of the world’s first wireless telegraph companies. Both men developed their ideas to become the leading inventors of their time.
Your challenge this week, is to research the history of these two great inventors and write a short article on your understanding of the controversy. Whatever your thoughts, they both played a vital role in the invention of the wireless telegraph. Then answer the following questions:- QUESTIONS:
- When was Guglielmo Marconi born?
- He received a Nobel Prize in 1909….in what field?
- In 1912, the Marconi wireless technology assisted in the rescue of survivors of what tragedy?
- Many places and organizations have been named after Guglielmo. Name one from Ireland, Italy and America.
- When was Nikola Tesla born?
- He relocated to the USA. Who did he first work for?
- In what year was the Tesla Electric Light and Manufacturing Co. formed?
- His image was on the cover of what magazine in 1931?
~ Janine Wakefield ~
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
- Amazing People Toolkit – We invite you to download our FREE Amazing People Toolkit.
- Here is our latest Newsletter too!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Amazing People Education is brought to you by The Amazing People Club – an international education publisher that is bringing these sensational resources to students and teachers worldwide. To explore tips and tricks on classroom edu-tainment using BioViews®, please download our free Amazing Teacher Toolkit. To get involved in our direct-to-classroom resources, be sure to check out these Education Case Studies. We would like you to try some of our amazing class starters and let us know how they were received by teachers and students. To take a peek at how some students reacted when they came face to face with Columbus and Michelangelo, please see our video from Castle Vale High School. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.amazingpeopleclub.com